A Bobsy Talk Email: Myron's Bobsy SR-3 Clone

  • From: "Myron Boyajian" <mboyajian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bobsy_talk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2014 11:58:48 -0500

To Bob Alder and other interested folks,

Please see the copy below of a previous email regarding the Bobsy body parts.

After a  search through old pix, I now think we can close the case on the body
parts shown on the "adamsgarage" website.   Please see the attached pdf images
of me racing my car at Blackhawk Farms.  I believe the race was Chicagoland
Sports Car Club's "The Looong Race" in October 1970.  I came in 2nd to Dave
Alberti's DSR special (Car #10, scan 0004.jpg), which won due to Dave's smooth
driving and as I recall, a killer Suzuki 750 triple.

Clone or not, the car was a lot of fun to drive and I put a lot of racing miles
on it.  You'll see that my #18 has a Novice "X" on it, because at various times
as money  and raising a family forbade it, I let my full comp license lapse and
had to re-up as a novice. After I redesigned and rebuilt both front and rear
suspensions, the car handled really nicely and consistently.  Its only
weaknesses were its Saab engine as compared to the Suzuki 750 triples coming
into use, and its Lambert-converted Fiat 600 transaxle that would on occasion
lock up into neutral.   I lost a race at the Milwaukee mile road course for
just that reason.  That really graveled me as I had pole position and a great
start, but accelerating out of the Hairpin at the South end of the infield road
course it locked in neutral as I went from Second to Third.  Oh well....

I have said before that I have always thought the Bobsy SR-3 to be one of the
most beautiful and "voluptuous" cars built.  I put the car in only one car
show, not being a "shine & show" type guy, but, surprise, I won a trophy at the
car show, beating out a Lola Can-Am car!    I still have the silver bowl on my
shelf.

Race safe and fast, and most importantly, have fun!

Best regards to all,

Mike Boyajian

"Hi Adam,

I saw the pix on the "adamsgarage" website and I can tell that the body pieces
look like the front and rear sections from my old car, but the suspension
pieces do not.  I can't be sure of the engine, but if memory serves, my Saab
engine had a 2-barrel side draft carb and a single expansion chamber fed by the
cast iron exhaust manifold (a three-into-one system, if you will).

Mike Boyajian