[blindza] Space bar vs. enter key for activating buttons in dialoguesunder windows

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BlindZA" <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 12:55:47 +0200

My response to another mailing list query reminded me of another thing that's
not always relevant, but, the reason I always tell people to use space bar, and
_not_ enter key on dialogue buttons is due to a programming feature relatively
specific to popup dialogues etc. - to get an idea of what I'm talking about,
with jaws, jaws key + E will tell you the default button in a dialogue box.

And, in theory, if busy with a dialogue prompt, if you hit enter, then it
should activate the default button - in theory, even if currently focused on
something like the cancel button, it could still activate the ok button -
unless something like the screen reader is specifically trying to work around
this accident happening.

Either way, it's just the reason I always talk about using space bar to
activate a control, in dialogues, web pages - that one due to it being possible
to specify a button as the default submit button for form submittal, etc. -
and, it's therefore just more reliable to hit space bar on buttons, checkboxes,
etc. to activate the currently focused item, instead of hitting enter, and
hoping for the best, since while it will most likely work fine 99% of the time,
it might not.

Anyway, this isn't a rant, or anything, but, just something I keep on trying to
remind even sighties about...<smile>