[blindza] Re: Information for disabled patients while they are still in hospital

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BlindZA" <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 29 Aug 2010 11:15:41 +0200

This is exactly the sort of thing that would have been really good to have been
given/offered/told about when I was also initially recovering in hospital, and
the closest really had was when Daan and Lettie van Niekerk came to see me, and
showed/told me about simple things like a cane, and a talking watch, where to
find them, etc.

The closest easily available source have found for the sort of information I
was thinking about, and what I think you at least partially mean is the type of
thing you can find on the SoundSolutions sort of podcast page on AirsLA.org:
http://www.airsla.org/soundsolutions.asp

The description/explanation, under linked to first track there is the following:
"Sound Solutions is a series of audio recordings, produced by the Braille
Institute, that can help you learn to live with sight loss and regain your
independence. Topics covered include home management; adaptive cooking;
learning to live with visual loss; how to make the best use of your other
senses; developing leisure interests; rights and resources; facts vs. myths as
well as understanding the causes of blindness; developing a healthy outlook and
lifestyle; what to do when a family member loses vision; enhancing
communication; and putting humor back in your life."

One issue would be that they'll be meaning/talking about contextual resources
in the USA, but anyway...

Will anyway just say wish someone had brought me some of these to listen to
while in hospital in 2006...<smile>