[blindza] Fw: Doing Grass

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BlindZA" <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 06:23:37 +0200

This guy is basically describing how using the vOICe helped him to 'do' something that a normal person wouldn't have had any problems with...

----- Original Message ----- Dear List,

August ,2007

It's an Early Saturday morning a baking 87 degrees and threatening to grow
hotter.  With a press of the switch the Panasonic  quietly ticks then
chimes into windows.    Soft spoken words left, right   are  swiftly
exchanged for the rippling design of a reclining chair's fabric.  AS the
door opens the   flat Tinging window Blades  swing forward  creating  a
lively zinging sound.  The grey push mower's handle  frames a road scene
beyond  as I maneuver it across a large wooden porch.  Four dark coarsely
matted  steps  down and  I finally can drop this heavy metal beast.  Ten
years I have lived within my home on the West side of Buffalo.  Ten years I
have spent under hot summer suns cautiously cutting this rough scraggly grass.
Blackish   lined cracks embeded within the concrete catch my attention  as
I  propel the mower forward.  They remind me of a child's crude chalk
drawing. .
The mower real spins and clatters as I begin trimming the largest area. In
the past I have needed to keep one foot on the side walk, the other on
grass  in an attempt to clip evenly and straight.I do not  need this
shuffling of foot today as I can see the curly green blades are darker than
the whitish pitted concrete.
The flat curb stone  bordering the outermost reach of the wildest
grass  looks as a railroad track.  I can not resist, just like a kid as I
run one large rubber wheel along it's path.  At the side of the porch
stands a square metal gas meter.  The  l shape Bending pipe protruding from
the ground must have it's  debris   carefully cleared by hand.   The bared
hard clay remaining behind looks clotted     and lumpy with grayish stones
scattered about.
My back yard is shaped like a small square.  It is enclosed on two sides by
a flat board picketed privacy fence.  The side of the garage and the back
of the house complete the other points of the enclosure.     I can easily
detect the corners where fence Joins garage and house.  It is harder to mow
in the back yard as a very old tree has several of it's roots poking threw
the ground.  They look like large black streaks randomly sneaking from
hidden cover.     Grass bens then spills behind the real as I attack along
the farthest fence line.  Soon the spittings are in my shoes as I maneuver
to and fro using the patterns from garage, house or fence.  No banging of
blade or wheel into tree root. No ramming of the metal head against fence
post for I can see each as I approach.  When I am finally threw  I look
around with  a deep feeling of satisfaction  and pride.    The half grown
jungle has become a flat greenish plain with it's dark wooden snakes
clearly revealed.  I feel hot,  tired, and ready to call it a day.  Pushing
my trusty mower before me I headed for the path home.  after closing
the   screen door on my gardening adventure,  I suddenly realize I had not
thought of the gear still humming on my back.  The vOICE had been running
softly all day in the background of my mind while I, without conscious
thought ,simply  and naturally did the grass.
Take Care,
Pat

---
The 'homepage' for this list is at http://www.blindza.co.za