[blindza] Fw: Accessibility Study

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacobk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "BlindZA" <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 22:49:04 +0200

Seems you might even be able to 'earn' a gift voucher or something...

----- Original Message ----- Hi All,
I'd like to ask for your help in finding people with disabilities to
participate in a large study we are conducting to support the new Web
accessibility standard - the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines,
version 2.  Here is some information about it, if you or anyone you know
who might be interested, I would be very grateful if you could pass the
message on.
Study to support new Web Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG 2.0)
As some of you may know, there are a set of guidelines to help web
developers produce web sites that are accessible to people with
disabilities, the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines.  These are
currently being revised and my university (the University of York in
England) is helping to conduct a study of the draft of the new version.
We are need to check the many recommendations of the new guidelines
(there are some hundreds of them), so we need many people with different
disabilities to try out little bits of code with different combinations
of web browsers, screen readers, assistive technologies etc.
Participants don't have to know anything about web accessibility, or be
particularly technical to participate, just answer simple questions
about very simple web pages.  And we will reimburse people for their
time!  The material is divided up into blocks of 20 simple (I hope!) web
pages and questions, and for each block completed you get an Amazon gift
voucher for US $15.00 (or local equivalent).  And people are welcome to
do as many blocks as you like.
We are particularly looking for people who are visually disabled (who
might use screen readers, screen magnification programs, or enlarge the
material on a webpage using the options in their browser or in the
operating system), people who are Deaf or hard of hearing, people with
dyslexic, and  people with physical disabilities, but all disabilities
are needed.
You do need to register, but that is simply to find out what combination
of operating system, browser, screen reader, other devices etc you use,
so you can be presented with appropriate questions and we can reimburse
you with the appropriate number of gift vouchers. All information you
provide is absolutely confidential and anonymous.
You can register by going to:
http://bentoweb.org/amfortas/register.html
You then do the questions by going to:
http://bentoweb.org/amfortas/sign-in.html
This is a small and easy way to have a say in improving the
accessibility of the web in the future!
If you have any questions or comments, please ask them either on list or
off list.
Many thanks for your help.
Joe E. Wheaton, Ph.D.
A334 PAES Bldg.
305 W. 17th Ave.
Columbus, OH 43210
614-292-8313 (voice)
614-292-4255 (FAX)
http://education.osu.edu/jwheaton/
Dr. Fred R. McFarlane
Department of Administration, Rehabilitation & Postsecondary Education
San Diego State University
3590 Camino Del Rio North
San Diego, CA  92108
office: (619)-594-4220