[blindza] Friday: Braille pocket dictionary

  • From: "Jacob Kruger" <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "NAPSA Blind" <blind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2013 00:23:57 +0200

Stole this from another list where they were discussing things like game
documentation in various different formats, etc.:
---quoted message content---
I think the best example of braille size was my schools copy of the pocket
dictionary in braille.

Bare in mind the phrase "pocket dictionary" a book which all the other kids
doing english were lent a copy of and which was, ---- as the name implies
pocket sized.

The braille version was 18 volumes, each of which was slightly larger in
size than an A 4 sheet of print paper, with hard bindings and a good three
or four inches thick! (they were around 80 braille pages each).

I think the only way that could be a pocket dictionary is for the Big
friendly giant! :D.
---end message content---

Makes me wonder - how much space would something like the encyclopedia
britannica take up in braille format..? <smile>

And, lastly, yes, I do agree/believe that braille is a valuable
resource/medium, etc., but, yes, the sizing/dimensions of braille print are
going to sometimes be an issue, and, no, I don't honestly use braille for more
than labelling, minor forms of note taking, and only know basic braille, but,
still...