[blindza] FW: Initiative on Scripture for the Blind.

  • From: Veroni Kruger <veronikruger@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 09:03:52 -0600

I thought this might be of interest.

Veroni

Dr. Véroni Krüger
The Word for the World
Tel. (USA) (719) 594 9906
www.thewordfortheworld.org--

------ Forwarded Message
From: roberto laver <rlaver@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 10:23:55 -0400

I¹m bringing to your attention an initiative by James Pepper concerning the
availability of Scripture for the blind.  Below I transcribe the pertinent
part of Mr. Pepper¹s note describing the initiative.  This was referred to
me by John Watters and I thought it would be important for all of you to be
aware of this proposal in case your organization has an interest in this
initiative or you know of someone who may be interested.

Contact details for James Pepper are:

Jpepperos@xxxxxxx

Te: 214-360-0622

In case you need more information about James Pepper, please contact John
Watters or Bob Creson.

Blessings

Roberto

Transcript:

³I have discovered a method of making adobe acrobat documents accessible to
the blind,  and discovered that I can make the bible accessible to the blind
in 34 languages.  Its interesting because I needed a text to illustrate the
different language translations possible with this technology and so I
naturally used John 3:16.  Then it hit me, I can encode the entire bible.
This process creates the codes necessary for screen readers and braille
machines to work and it is standardized on Adobe Acrobat. Here are the
languages:

* Chinese for the Peoples Republic of China, Hong Kong, Taiwan
* Croatian for The Republic of Croatia
* Czech for the Czech Republic
* Danish for Denmark
* Dutch for Belgium and the Netherlands
* English for Australia, Canada, India, Ireland, New Zealand, South Africa,
the United Kingdom, and the United States
* Estonian for Estonia
* Finnish for Finland
* French for Belgium, Canada, France, Luxembourg and Switzerland
* German for Austria, Germany, Luxembourg and Switzerland
* Greek for Greece (Modern Greek)
* Hungarian for Hungary
* Italian for Italy and Switzerland
* Japanese for Japan
* Korean for Korea
* Norwegian for Norway
* Portuguese for Brazil
* Romanian for Romania
* Russian for Russia
* Slovenian for the Republic of Slovenia
* Spanish for Argentina, Bolivia, Chile, Columbia, Costa Rica, Dominican
Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua,
Panama, Paraguay,
* Peru, Puerto Rico, Spain, Uruguay,  Venezuela,
* Swedish for Sweden
* Turkish for Turkey
And I can encode the following languages but the instructions to use them
will have to be separate from the program because Adobe does not recognize
the language in its operating system.  It can display them, but it will not
be able to understand the languages for controlling the program.  I build
instructions to use features of acrobat into the document. In the following
documents another language will have to be used for the instructions. For
instance of the former Soviet republics, Russian will have to be the
language for the instructions inside the program. You can use the native
language for the text document outside of the program.

* Bulgarian for Bulgaria
* Estonian for Estonia
* Latvian for Latvia
* Lithuanian for Lithuania
* Norwegian for Nynorsk
* Polish for Poland
* Portuguese for Portugal
* Serbo-Croatian for Bosnia and Herzegovina, Croatia, and the Republic of
Serbia and Montenegro
* Slovak for the Slovak Republic
* Ukrainian for Ukraine

Also I can encode Koine Greek and the Latin Vulgate.  And Welsh but there
are no screen readers for these programs.  I am not sure if there is a
braille version of Biblical Greek and Latin.

Given that there are only 15 braille bibles out there, this should open up
the Gospel to millions of people!

--
Internal Virus Database is out-of-date.

------ End of Forwarded Message