[blindza] A better interface to working with a version of chrome - opera

  • From: Jacob Kruger <jacob@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: NAPSA Blind <blind@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, BlindZA <blindza@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2016 21:43:14 +0200

While had sort of forgotten about opera web browser since it didn't seem to work with screen readers a little while ago, realised that it nowadays seems to have implemented a sort of embedded form of chrome, which means that you can work perfectly well enough with it, along with NVDA.

And, the other advantage is that while it has a similar form of interface in terms of menu system to chrome, besides that, the interface is a lot cleaner/simpler, and, for example, shift+tab from address bar will in fact just take you to the web page contents.

Now, while haven't played around with all of it's settings as of yet, it does also, at the very least, make use of all the standard/same keystrokes as internet explorer, chrome, etc. - as in, keystrokes to open links in new popup windows, navigating back/forward through history, etc., and, it also seems to have a couple of nice, other tweaks, etc., like what it refers to as it's speed-dial, which lets you assign hotkeys to bring up specific websites, etc. etc.

Anyway, specifically what with it's cleaner form of an interface, but, still being based on chrome, I am pretty sure this will be my default browser - unless come across some specific problems...<smile>

And, lastly, FWIW, in the old sighted days, opera was also generally my browser of choice, simply since it was, even back then, basically a stripped down, cleaner interface, which is meant to be able to load webpages quicker, use less system resources, etc. etc.

Stay well

Jacob Kruger
Blind Biker
Skype: BlindZA
"Resistance is futile, but, acceptance is versatile..."

---
The 'homepage' for this list is at http://www.blindza.co.za