[blindwoodworker] Dust collector

  • From: "John Sherrer" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindwoodworker@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2012 21:47:09 -0400

I did some work in my shop a few weeks ago, I installed my dust collector up
high so that it will vent outside.

I took apart my two horsepower Jet canister unit and mounted it on one inch
plywood, and the wooden prackets of a high shelf.

I almost made it.

I predrilled the holes on the plywood and slanted the unit so that I can use
the remote control.

I mounted the plywood and drilled through the wooden brackets to give more
strenth and allow bolts to be used to hold the unit in place, I used one
half inch hardware.

I had a bench under the unit mounting position.  I made allowances for the
blower which was the highest point.

I lifted that thing up and tried to get it into place three times and about
killed my self each time.  I would get it close, put I could not get it in
place.

I then put the dust collector in a chair on the bench and used some other
wood to mount the bottom hole, then easily swung it up and bolted it in
place.  Then I noticed that the seam of the impeller housing was too tall
and pushed up on the ceiling.  This is why I could not lift it in place.

The five inch exhaust fitting worked and the previous owner made the six
inch hole with pvc pipe, and my five inch went through that openning very
well.

The six inch intake is another story.  I think that it is too high to get a
six inch elbow on it.  The four inch adapter will not fit.

I may have to lower the unit an inch or alittle more.

I will give an update when I get back to it.

John

BlindWoodWorker.com

Join our discussion list at:

blindwoodworker-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx