[blindweightwatcher] What's Hot

  • From: "Jan Bailey" <jb021951@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindweightwatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2009 17:45:38 -0600

What's Hot
By Leanne Ely CNC

In the ever-changing world of what's hot and what's not, doesn't it figure that
food too, would follow such a trend?

And while this list might not be your personal list, it's mine and it works.
After losing 70 pounds and keeping it off, I feel qualified to make such claims!
:-)

So without further adieu, let's get down to it, shall we? May I have the
envelope please...

What's HOT: Sweet potatoes! This terrific tuber is packed with beta-carotene,
fiber and potassium. Scrub it really well, poke it with a fork and bake it
up for a terrific hot snack or lunch even. I eat the skin when they're organic!

What's NOT: White potatoes. This starchy, high glycemic tater has more of a
glycemic load than white sugar! That's hard on your body, makes your blood sugar
soar and is a no-no for diabetics and pre-diabetics alike.

What's HOT: Black beans. These little wonders are overflowing with protein and
fiber, lending themselves to excellent nutrition via their beautiful blackness
(remember, the more natural color in your food, the more nutrients).

What's NOT: Refried beans. The pinto beans used to make refried beans are
wonderful in and of themselves. The issue is the "refrying" which is nothing
more
than smashing nutritionally lovely pinto beans into a great globs of lard and
getting in your arteries via a plate full of Mexican... eww!

What's HOT: Blue Agave Sweetener. Found in health food stores, this low
glycemic loading sweetener is perfect in tea or coffee with no icky aftertaste!
One taste will convince you!

What's NOT: Artificial sweeteners. Do I really have to tell you WHY? If you're
still in the dark about what's not so great about them, do a google search
with your artificial sweetener of choice, the + sign and the words "health
risks". You'll be broadsided!

What's HOT: Almond butter. Almond butter is a milder, smoother nut butter and
one of the super foods everyone should be consuming. Almonds contain a ton
of fiber, lots of protein and are the best source nut-wise of vitamin E.

What's NOT: Peanut butter. Are you really eating the same stuff you did when
you were a kid? Does it keep on your pantry shelf after you open it and doesn't
go bad? Ever heard of the words trans fatty acids or high fructose corn syrup?
If you're gonna do peanut butter, make sure the ingredients say PEANUTS
and nothing else!

What's HOT: Wild salmon. Wonderfully, gloriously real wild salmon, from the
Pacific-Northwest, all pink fleshed and delicious. Chocked full of omega-3 fatty
acids, it will keep your brain healthy, your skin in tip top condition and your
heart will love it, too!

What's NOT: Farm raised salmon. Sorry folks, but the farm-raised stuff has
nothing on wild salmon. Not only is wild salmon more environmentally friendly,
it's also not dyed to be pink (the pink is natural in wild salmon) and the fats
in the salmon comes from fish food, not the marine diet that natural wild
salmon seek out. Remember to go wild on all your fish choices!