[blindweightwatcher] Veggie Salmon Chowder

  • From: "Jan Bailey" <jb021951@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindweightwatcher@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 05:49:55 -0600

Veggie Salmon Chowder
Cooking for 2

"This recipe came about as a way to use up odds and ends in my fridge,"
writes Liv Vors of Peterborough, Ontario. "I thought other readers might
enjoy a recipe that began as an experiment but became a mainstay for me."

SERVINGS: 2
CATEGORY: Low Fat
METHOD:
TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min.

Ingredients:
1 medium sweet potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup fresh or frozen corn
1/2 small onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves, minced
1-1/2 cups fresh spinach, torn
1/2 cup flaked smoked salmon fillet
1 teaspoon pickled jalapeno slices, chopped
1 tablespoon cornstarch
1/2 cup 2% milk
1 tablespoon minced fresh cilantro
Dash pepper

Directions:
In a large saucepan, combine the potato, broth, corn, onion and garlic.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes or until
potato is tender.
Add the spinach, salmon and jalapeno; cook for 1-2 minutes or until
spinach is wilted. Combine cornstarch and milk until smooth. Stir into
chowder. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
Stir in cilantro and pepper. Yield: 2 servings.

Nutrition Facts
One serving: 1-1/4 cups (prepared with reduced-sodium broth) Calories:
202 Fat: 3 g Saturated Fat: 1 g Cholesterol: 12 mg Sodium: 645 mg
Carbohydrate: 32 g Fiber: 4 g Protein: 13 g

http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Veggie-Salmon-Chowder