Grammar on White Cane Safety Day

  • To: <BlindNews@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 23:26:31 -0400

Planet of the Blind (blog)
Monday, October 15, 2007

Grammar on White Cane Safety Day

By Stephen Kuusisto

Today is "White Cane Safety Day" and the President of the United States has
issued the following proclamation.

LINK:
http://kuusisto.typepad.com/planet_of_the_blind/2007/10/today-is-white-.html

We do want to take a moment to reflect on the extraordinary achievements of our
nation's blind citizens and to remind Washington that 17 years after the
adoption of the Americans with Disabilities Act, it is estimated that 70 per
cent of the blind remain unemployed in the United States. I applaud President
Bush for his proclamation, though as an English professor I can't resist
pointing out that the opening sentence has a subject-predicate agreement
problem.

S.K.

http://kuusisto.typepad.com/planet_of_the_blind/2007/10/grammar-on-whit.html
BlindNews Mailing List
Subscribe: BlindNews-Request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with "subscribe" as subject

Moderator: BlindNews-Moderators@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

Archive: http://GeoffAndWen.com/blind

RSS: http://GeoffAndWen.com/BlindNewsRSS.asp

More information about RSS feeds will be published shortly.