[blindeudora] Re: My Backspacing Problem Resolved

  • From: northstar1950@xxxxxxx
  • To: blindeudora@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 02 Jun 2011 01:12:20 -0500

i imported my enhanced scripts and added the jaws backspace script and i hear the next message in the list when deleting messages with the delete key and when in an opened message using the ctrl+d to delete. i am placed on the next message and its spoken.Legend has it that on Thursday 6/2/2011 12:50 AM, Doris and Chris said:

Did you get the delete and message delete scripts to automatically announce the next message automatically also and is this with the origianl eudora scripts that come with jaws or your enhanced eudora scripts ported to jaws 12?

I have my scripts sort of working also but am using the patched up jaws 10 scripts for Eudora. If you have found a smoother solution, I am all ears!

I am still getting some sluggishness when opening some messages sometimes. are you using Eudora using the Microsoft Viewer - I am - or its native Editor window?

Congrats on getting your jaws 12 and eudora working!

cheers,
Doris

At 01:13 AM 6/2/2011, you wrote:
well, i am now using jaws 12.1161 and with the added script for the backspace. i am not having any trouble with editing text. of course, jaws says blank instead of space when backspacing over a space, but i can live with that as well. i am not experiencing any sluggishness with jaws 12 and eudora under windows 7 32 bit os.
Legend has it that on Saturday 5/28/2011 07:13 AM, Doris and Chris said:
I previously posted about my problem with jaws 12 and eudora where jaws would not read the blank spaces when backspacing to erase text in the message composition window.

It appears I have found a solution to the problem. The key was that i remembered that this problem had existed at least once several Eudora and jaws versions before. Tonight I consulted with our friend Google and eventually foudn the solution.

I added the following script to my Eudora.jss file:

begin quote

Script  JawsBackspace()
var
        int TheTypeCode
SaveCursor ()
PCCursor ()
let TheTypeCode = GetWindowSubtypeCode (GetCurrentWindow())
If ((TheTypeCode == WT_TREEVIEW) || (TheTypeCode == WT_LISTVIEW)) then
        {backspace}
else
;       RouteInvisibleToPc () ; commented out
;       InvisibleCursor () ; commented out
        PriorCharacter ()
        SayCharacter ()
        NextCharacter () ; Added
        {backspace}
endif
RestoreCursor ()
EndScript

end quote

after compilation, jaws 12 now reads blank spaces as it is supposed to even though it announces "blank" instead of "space" but this I can live with.

What the above script does is to use the pc instead of the invisible cursor to get the cursor position and blank spaces. This is an old version of the "jaws backspace" script found in default.jss. The above was meant for jaws 3.3 or 3.3.1 originally and was suggested to be added to default.jss as a fix to the eudora problem origianlly.

From what little i understand of jaws scripting - and I really don't - I think the code has evolved quite a bit since. I therefore did not want to risk messing up my default scripts. Since application specific scripts take precedence over the defaults, I decided to add the above script just to the Eudora ones where the problem fix is needed and this works.

Again, this is not my code nor even my idea but just my remembering the earlier problem and an attempt to find a solution. I do not know who the origional author of that script change was. The fix was posted by David Maynard but he just quoted a message he had archived in return.

My gratitude goes out to both Mr. David Maynard and also the origianl author of that script change.

I thought I post this here in case someone else is experieincing this annoying backspace problem.

Thanks much.

Doris

List web page: //www.freelists.org/webpage/blindeudora

List web page: //www.freelists.org/webpage/blindeudora