[blindcooks] Re: Recipe Requested Eggnog with Nutmeg and Cinnamon

  • From: "Jan Bailey" <jlb021951@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2015 08:39:28 -0600

Eggnog with Nutmeg and Cinnamon

Homemade eggnog is a world apart from the purchased stuff. You simply can't
celebrate the season without a sip of eggnog. Ritchie concedes that
store-made

eggnogs are convenient, but says they're not nearly as tasty. Her recipe is
simple. She shows how to whisk in the ingredients, the importance of heat to

avoid curdling, and when to incorporate the brandy.

Here, eggnog is topped with sweetened whipped cream and freshly ground

spices.

1 or 2 whole nutmegs

1 cinnamon stick

12 egg yolks

4 cups milk

1 1/4 cups sugar

2 cups heavy cream

1/2 tsp. vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups brandy, Cognac, rum or bourbon

Using a nutmeg grater or the smallest rasps on a handheld grater-shredder,
grate the nutmeg until you have about 1 tsp. In a spice grinder or a coffee

grinder reserved for spices, grind the cinnamon stick. Set aside.

In a large saucepan, whisk together the egg yolks, 2 cups of the milk and 1
cup of the sugar. Place over low heat and simmer, stirring often, until
slightly

thickened, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat, stir in the remaining 2
cups milk and let cool.

In a bowl, using a handheld mixer or whisk, whip the cream with the
remaining 1/4 cup sugar and the vanilla until soft peaks form. Set aside.

Strain the cooled mixture through a fine-mesh sieve and pour into a serving
pitcher or a small punch bowl. Stir in the brandy. Serve the eggnog in cups

or glasses, topped with a dollop of the whipped cream and a sprinkle each of
nutmeg and cinnamon.

Serves 8 to 10. Adapted from Williams-Sonoma, Christmas Entertaining, by
Georgeanne Brennan (Simon & Schuster, 2005).