[blindcooks] Pumpkin Curry with added instructions for dark roasted curry powder

  • From: "Valerie" <rosetta@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2015 14:33:37 +1030

Hello Susan,  I have included the pumpkin curry recipe too, I made this
along with the aromatic Sri Lankan Curry, so we had two curry choices at
dinner.  I thought this was a fabulous curry and so did the visitors.  It
might seem a little work intensive but result was well worth it all.  The
curry is thickened by dry roasting rice and coconut till lightly toasted,
then you grind the mix up to a flour, this is then added at the last few
minutes adding lovely flavours.  The note with this curry says to check for
flavour and taste at the end of cooking, adding more lime juice, water or
yoghurt to taste. There are no shortcuts to this recipe as it is all spices
put together yourself, but really lovely curry served topped with lots of
chopped coriander, is that cilantro in the U.S. I can never remember.

I served this with sides of coconut and pineapple as well as cucumber raita
and Steamed Jasmine rice, plus extra quarters of lime. You can buy jasmine
rice at most stores, it has a lovely fragrant aroma when cooked.

The dark roasted curry powder is a flavouring, you will often find in
recipes there are extra spices added as well as the dark roasted powder.

Cheers, hope it all makes sense and hope you have the chance to try the
curry.   Valerie

Pumpkin Curry Sri Lanka style

Notes: Adjust the finished curry with a little extra yoghurt, water or lime
juice added, flavouring  to your taste

Ingredients

2 tbsp vegetable oil

2 medium red onions, finely sliced

2 sprigs curry leaves

4 garlic cloves, finely sliced

3 long green chillies, sliced or to taste

½ tsp black mustard seeds, ground

½ tsp fenugreek seeds

1 tsp coriander, ground

1 tsp cumin, ground

1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger

1 kg or  2 pounds pumpkin, cut into cubes

1 tsp seeded mustard

1 tsp sugar

2 tbsp dark roasted curry powder

1 tsp chilli powder  or to taste

1 tsp turmeric

1-2 tsp salt

500 ml (2 cups) coconut milk

2 tablespoons lemon juice or lime

¼ cup yoghurt

2 tbsp short-grain rice, plus extra, cooked, to serve

⅓ cup desiccated coconut

Instructions

Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat and add the onion, curry
leaves, garlic and green chilli. Fry briefly then add the mustard and
fenugreek seeds and continue frying and stirring for one minute.

Quickly toss the pumpkin in a bowl with the seeded mustard, grated
ginger,ground spices and salt and add to the pan along with the coconut
milk. Bring to the boil, cover  and cook over low heat until the pumpkin is
only just tender. Add coconut and rice mixture, stir and simmer gently for
a few minutes.  Add yoghurt and lemon juice and simmer two or three minutes
more.  Serve topped with chopped coriander and a serving of rice.

Coconut and rice mixture.

 Heat a small frying pan and dry-fry the rice and coconut until just brown
and fragrant, do not burn.  Grind  mixture to a powder in a mortar or
blender.

Dark roasted Sri Lankan curry powder

INGREDIENTS:

6 tablespoons coriander seeds

3 tablespoons cumin seeds

2 tablespoons turmeric powder

1 teaspoon fennel seeds

1 x 5cm cinnamon stick (crumbled)

4 cloves

4 cardamom pods

5 dried curry leaves

1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns

Directions:

Heat the pan and first put coriander seeds and fry it till it starts to get
golden brown. Then add rest of the ingredients and stir over low heat, till
it is slightly toasted. (Do not burn it.)

Place in a grinder and grind to a fine powder.

You can store it for months in an airtight container.

Posted in: curry,hot,roasted,spicy