[blindcooks] Nutty Oatmeal Bars

  • From: "Susan Tabor" <souljourner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 21:42:40 -0600

Hi, listers!

Mary, a friend of mine, makes these.  I think she said that it comes from a
cookbook called 75 Ways To Eat Your Oatmeal.  These really taste good and it
looks like one could have some fun with this recipe! Enjoy!—Cheers, Susan

Nutty Oatmeal Bars

Ingredients

·       2 cups old-fashioned oats

·       2 medium ripe bananas, mashed

·       ½ cup unsweetened shredded coconut

·       ¼ cup chopped walnuts (I used pecans since I'm allergic to walnuts)

·       ¼ cup chopped almonds

·       1 tsp cinnamon

·       1 tsp apple pie spice

o    this spice is expensive, so I just add more cinnamon along with a
little all spice and nutmeg: the ingredients of apple pie spice

·       ¼ - 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce

·       2 scoops low-carb nonfat vanilla protein powder (I use Nectar)

Directions:

Mix in a medium-sized mixing bowl.  If too thick, add a small amount of
applesauce.  Spray a 9”X9” pan with cooking spray and pour in batter.

Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes.  (I usually only bake it for 20 minutes)

Variations:

I add dried cranberries to add some sweetness.  You could try raisins if you
prefer.  – I have also added some chopped pecans.

This is a great recipe to experiment with.

I also add an extra ½ - 1 banana for extra moisture.  Generally, I make a
double batch in a 13X9 in. pan.

---
is active.