[blindcooks] Re: First Kettle Smoke

  • From: "Jonathan Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2016 15:08:02 -0700

Ah Robert; isn't it great to let out the inner caveman now and then? I made a smoked turkey a few weeks ago, and the results were fantastic. It was enough meat to make 5 or 6 meals, including paninis and enchiladas. The Cooks' Country show did an episode a few weeks ago for making burnt ends using brisket, or something quite close to it. They took the flat cut of the brisket, sliced it into thick strips, brined them, coated them heavily in a spice rub, then smoked them outdoors for several hours before bringing them inside to finish in the oven. The juices from the meat were then used to make a barbecue sauce. The meat was cut across the grain into chunks, then coated in a whole lot of sauce. It takes about 8 hours from start to finish, but I am determined to make that recipe before it gets cold again, which believe me, gives me a whole lot of time to make it. I've also been wanting to smoke a brisket the standard way as well, and I also intend to make Southern-style pulled pork sandwiches as well. I am fortunate enough to have both a kettle grill and a smoker, so I light my chimney starter on wwhatever device I'm not using to cook. But in your case, I think the cinder block platform is probably the best idea. Ribs are something that has always intimidated me for a long time, but the same show also made a recipe for ribs on the grill, and it actually didn't look very difficult. I'm pretty sure they used brown sugar in the rub. I don't think there's much danger of the sugar burning because the ribs are being cooked over indirrect heat, and the lower heat means the sugar should not burn. It will be hard to use the smoker from now on without thinking of my Dad. He loved everything that came off that smoker, and often asked me to make something for him on it. I have owned it for 16 years, and it's still going strong. He gave me a huge package of babybacks about a month before he passed away and was looking forward to the day when he'd be able to taste the end result. I am seriously considering a new grill because I would like more cooking surface area so I can do a lot more cooking using indirrect heat. Like you said, these little kettle grills are great for quick-cooking items like sausages and burgers, but I'd like to get a lot more space to work with in my next grill. Glad your ribs turned out, and wish I was there to enjoy them with you. My latest culinary delight was the teriyaki chicken I made for dinner last Friday night. Every time I make it, it gets better and better.
  Jon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob" <captinlogic@xxxxxxxxx>