[blindcooks] Re: A Couple of Grilling Questions

  • From: "Jonathan Rawlings" <twosocks76@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindcooks@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 8 May 2016 20:44:40 -0700

Hi Rob:
It has been one crazy weekend around here, and I haven't had much time until now to even check my email. To answer your questions about charcoal; the only suggestions that come to mind are to use the chimney starter to get all the coals lit, then, when you pour the coals out, use a long-handled spatula or something to gather them all together so they all burn down and burn hotter. As far as how to turn the food, I will have to look into that. I don't like using a spatula of any kind on the grill because I feel I don't have as much control over where the food ends up as I do when I use tongs. I could check to see if "Cooks' Illustrated has done any tests on what tongs and spatulas are best for grilling, if you like. For me, right now, grilling and smoking are something I am just kind of muddling through as best I can. I realized last week that I badly need a new set of tools for the grill as mine are either lost or damaged. I had the set a very long time, so I guess it has to be done. It's just one more thing I want to buy that I don't have the funds for right now. Let me know if you'd like me to check for the equipment reviews and I'll check and post what I find.
  Jon

----- Original Message ----- From: "Rob" <captinlogic@xxxxxxxxx>