[blindchristian] Break Out of your Monotonous Rut, March 30, 2015

  • From: "Victoria" <gilkerson2730@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindchristian@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 09:33:07 -0500

Fresh Manna

by Pastor Tim Burt

Forward this email to a friend

Ever feel like you're boring or stuck in a monotonous rut? I suppose there
could be a variety of definitions of what a rut is. When I think of a rut, I
think of two things: repetition in what I'm doing, and doing something that
isn't what I want to do most. Repetition in itself isn't bad. Actually a
fair amount of routine helps us develop a more disciplined life. I remember
back when our children were young, experiencing the liberty of routine from
school because of summer vacation. The kids had the summer off. Most all our
routine flew out the window. It felt good for a short time, but by the end
of summer vacation we couldn't wait for the kids to get back in school so we
had some routine again. Initially we struggled getting back into that
routine, but it didn't take long for it to feel good. I would get my daily
disciplines back and out of chaos.

I like having my daily routines, but like anyone, we enjoy spice in our
life. We like the things that we insert into our life that add flavor such
as date nights, being with friends, events and gatherings, vacations, and
the change ups and spices of life that make life more interesting.
Repetition isn't bad to me unless there are things I am repeating that
aren't priority over things I am not doing that should be a priority. When I
have that kind of repetition going on, then I feel like I'm in a rut. The
logical thinking would be Well, just break out of it!  If it were that easy,
then none of us would be in a rut for long.

The Apostle Paul described his ruts like this in Romans 7:15 & 18-19 "I
don't understand myself at all, for I really want to do what is right, but I
don't do it. Instead, I do the very thing I hate... No matter which way I
turn, I can't make myself do right. I want to, but I can't. When I want to
do good, I don't. And when I try not to do wrong, I do it anyway." Paul went
on to describe that this is how he acted when He was living carnally.

Paul went on to say that as Christians we weren't trapped by carnal thinking
and behavior. That was a part of our old man before we received Jesus. Now
we are sons of God. We can break out of them and follow after His Spirit. As
Romans 8:9 says, "But you are not controlled by your sinful nature. You are
controlled by the Spirit if you have the Spirit of God living in you. (And
remember that those who do not have the Spirit of Christ living in them are
not Christians at all.")

Whenever I'm in a rut, I meditate on this truth. I have the Spirit of God
living in me, therefore I am not controlled by any sinful nature, nor am I
bound by habit or stuck in what I am doing! By the power of the Holy Spirit,
I can change things up whenever I deem necessary!  There is something else I
do. I have done this in various formats over my 38 years as a Christian. It
has helped me more than anything else I can point to. It has helped
strengthen me in spirit so that I could rid myself of the bad in my routine
and replace it with the good. What is it? I have communed with God early
before ever starting anything else in my day. I set my alarm early (although
I usually wake up on my own) and as I wake up, I begin to commune with God,
mediating on His promises and who He says I am.

Psalm 5:3 says, "In the morning, O Lord, you hear my voice; in the morning I
lay my requests before you and wait in expectation." Psalm 143:8 says, "Let
me hear of your unfailing love to me in the morning, for I am trusting you.
Show me where to walk, for I have come to you in prayer." And Isaiah 50:4
says, "The Sovereign Lord has given me His words of wisdom, so that I know
what to say to all these weary ones. Morning by morning He wakens me and
opens my understanding to His will."

I commune with God in the morning before anything else. I talk with Him and
let His Word speak to me. I talk over my day with Him and ask Him to use me
and let me be a light for Him. I ask Him to strengthen me to move beyond or
outside of my routine when led. I ask Him to strengthen me do to what I know
God wants me to do. And in this place of communing, God's strength comes and
my confidence in Him helping me grows.  It is in those quiet times with the
Lord that I am better able to know what needs to change and find the daily
strength to change it.  Ruts choke but Spirit led changes feels so good! Try
it! More to come...

Isaiah 43:19 (NIV) "See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you
not perceive it? I am making a way in the desert and streams in the
wasteland"

In His Love,

Pastor Tim Burt

If you are having trouble viewing this post, click here.

If Fresh Manna is a blessing to you, let me know how. I'd love to hear from
you!  Write me at FreshMannaFeedback@xxxxxxxxxxx

Published by Pastor Tim Burt

CopyrightC 2015 All rights reserved

http://todaysfreshmanna.wordpress.com/