[blindav] Re: TV What Has Audio

  • From: "Diego Demaya" <diegodemaya@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindav@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2015 00:04:17 -0600

Hi,

The HDMI interface will not give you good sound unless you have an HDMI
equipped receiver. Hence, the chain goes like this: TV HDMI cable to receiver
HDMI output; BlueRay player HDMI output to receiver HDMI input; PC HDMI output
(carrying HD Video at 1080p with stereo sound only to receiver HDMI input; etc.

Or, simply use TV HDMI inputs for video only from all devices and send audio
from all devices directly to the receiver thereby bypassing video processing
and allowing your amplifier or receiver to work its magic with sound only –
such as Coax or Optical inputs as well as analog inputs (including 5.1 inputs)
if your receiver has those.

There is practically no way to get decent Hi-Fi sound from the HDMI output of a
PC video card. Typically, you can only get stereo sound from a PC HDMI video
card along with the 1080p video signal.

I have a fantastic Asus U7 external 7.1 24 bit 192 KHZ sound card I use with my
music and video server  Windows 7 64 bit PC. I get nothing less than stellar
audio performance from a dedicated soundcard not compromised by internal PC
currents.  The Asus U7 is new on the market – I got it in 2014. It is by far a
best kept secret. It has similar components for digital audio processing and
digital to analog converters used in Asus top of the line Asus Essence series
internal PCI cards which run in excess of $200 to $500 depending on how much
one wants to tweak digital audio components. The U7 external USB sound board
comes with 7.1 analog outputs and one optical output that limits the output
range to 24 bit 96 KHZ. Asus also makes a highly regarded U3 USB card for those
wanting stereo only in a tiny interface.

Yes, they are quite better than the SoundBlaster USB external models – which I
also have – including the model that has the phono inputs with a built-in
pre-amp for those who want to record LP to didgital.

Cheers,

Diego