[blindav] ISO Sony Retro Fitted Dram Machine Clock Radio

  • From: "Tom Kaufman" <tomcat53@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindav@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2015 15:27:53 -0500

Hello List:  Not sure if this is the exact forum for such a thing, but
thought I'd give it a try: I had a Sony Dream Machine clock radio that was
given to me as a birthday present probably around 2003 (maybe earlier) the
radio didn't have the greatest FM on it; the AM was okay.but it had such a
wonderful tone!  It had the buttons across the top.and was pretty
accessible!  Well almost a year ago, it started freezing up on me (would get
to where you couldn't get the buttons to do anything) so then if you
unplugged the thing and let it sit for several days; then plugged it back
in, it might go on and work!  This would last for a little while; then it
would revert back to the same thing!  My electronic repair guy was able to
get it to where it worked.and it lasted for maybe another three months or
so!  Aw but then, alas, I went to turn it on one night.and nothing would
happen; the clock was frozen at the time it apparently "froze up".and this
time, the repair guy said he couldn't do anything more for it!  So am
wondering if anyone would know where to get such a radio?  I've seen Sony
dream machines on Amazon; unfortunately, they're not really that accessible
and really are over-priced!  I had actually bought one; one thing it had
going for it is that it had a really nice digital display (wouldn't do a
totally blind person any good) but it also had an analog tuner and.instead
of a CD player, had a cassette deck.of all things!  The sound wasn't nearly
as good as that old one that I had!  I wound up sending it back, for I felt
it wasn't enough "radio" for the money!  But I'd love to be able to find
another one like I had!  So if any of you listers know where I might find
one of those good ole "retro-fitted" machines, feel free to post the
information on here!

Tom Kaufman

Denton, MD. U.S.A.