blind_html Fwd: [VINUX-DEVELOPMENT] Developer Volunteers Needed

  • From: Nimer Jaber <nimerjaber1@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind_html@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 12:47:28 -0600

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: [VINUX-DEVELOPMENT] Developer Volunteers Needed
Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2011 04:19:22 -0500
From: Don Marang <donald.marang@xxxxxxxxx>
To: <vinux-development@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <vinux-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

I am looking to encourage developers and those interested in development into joining a team to tackle accessibility issues in software bundled with Vinux.  This team must isolate acessibility issues to fragments of code from orca  / SpeakUp or the target application.  It may require investigating the current state of the software newer than the package used in Vinux or contacting the developers.  It may require modifying the source of the target package and create a patch file which improves it's accessibility.  Thus a new Vinux specific package can be created to be thoroughly tested.  These patches, if determined benificial and error free should then be passed back to the target package's upstream author or maintainer for inclusion into the Ubuntu package.

In some cases, we nay decide certain utilities such as speedy-ocr to provide accessible scanning / OCR capabilities are sorely needed by our community.  Other similar deficiency areas I have heard discussed are a DAISY reader, a Bookshare download utility, and utilities to turn book text into podcast files.  I am sure many of you have your own ideas.  Bring them up in discussion and the group can decide if it would benefit the Vinux community.  As in speedy-ocr, I developed it out of a desperate personal need for manageing paper letters, tax information, school loans and mail.
Just as in the assignment of testing to apps that you use, having experience and possibly personal needs from the application with accessibility issues would be extremely helpful.

If you are interested in contributing to fixing accessibility, please let me know so that I can put you on the list and I can figure out who is going to be working which issue.  Thanks, and I look forward to your help!! If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me.  Please include your name, also include any troublesome applications or  gnome-orca issues in which you wish to develop a fix.

The wider spread the word about Vinux gets , the more developers we can attract to resolve issues.  The more hassle free and useful we can make Vinux, the more people will be attracted to Vinux.  Let's keep the ball going!

Don Marang

There is just so much stuff in the world that, to me, is devoid of any real substance, value, and content that I just try to make sure that I am working on things that matter.
Dean Kamen

Vinux Home Page: http://vinux.org.uk/
Vinux Wiki Documentation:http://wiki.vinuxvirtual.org.uk/index.php?title=Main_Page