[blind-democracy] Re: one more thing about the NLS player, especially for Penny

  • From: Frank Ventura <frank.ventura@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 14 Nov 2015 21:03:11 +0000

Good thoughts Miriam, keep em coming.
Frank

-----Original Message-----
From: blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:blind-democracy-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Miriam Vieni
Sent: Saturday, November 14, 2015 2:07 PM
To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [blind-democracy] one more thing about the NLS player, especially for
Penny

Just in case Penny is appointed to that committee tasked with making
suggestions for redesigning the player:
I began thinking about what Frank said about the elderly sending back the
machines because they found them too difficult, and about the teaching that
Carl and Cathy do with their clients to help them use the machines, and two
things came to mind. 1. Elderly people are often forgetful. 2. The newly
blinded elderly usually have some vision and they are accustomed to depending
on their vision. Carl mentioned emphasizing the red color of the power button,
and the green color of the play button. When I first got the machine, I didn't
depend on the key describer mode to remind me what the buttons were. I depended
on the braille letter next to each button and set of arrows until I became
familiar with the player. The newly blind elderly don't use braille, but
they're not going to take the cartridge out of the machine and press the keys
each time they need to know what they are. So it would be a really good idea to
put a large yellow letter next to each control in addition to the braille
letter. Bright yellow is the easiest color to see and it is a good contrast
with the dark gray of the machine.
Some help would still be necessary and there isn't room for an entire word to
be written in large enough print for people to see it. But the S for speed and
the V for volume, for example, just as we have in braille, would be helpful.