[blind-democracy] WV Primary

  • From: "Roger Loran Bailey" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "rogerbailey81" for DMARC)
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 May 2016 08:48:08 -0400

I wanted to make this post last night just before I went to bed, but a thunderstorm kept me off the computer. So I decided to do it first thing in the morning. I have seen no news this morning, so this is based on the eleven o'clock news last night. It appears that Sanders beat Clinton in West Virginia with fifty-three percent to Clinton's forty-one percent. There was no mention of Keith Judd or Martin O'Malley, but after adding up the other percentages I suppose they split less than one percent between them. Candidates who have already dropped out and candidates who do not campaign or take any positions on any issues usually get a low percentage, but this is unusually low. They usually get at least between one and two percent. Keith Judd seems to have suffered a precipitous decline since 2012 when he got forty-eight percent of the vote against the only other candidate on the ballot, Barack Obama. Anyway, I said it would be interesting to see how candidates who did not campaign or take any positions would do since Sanders poll numbers had declined so much since last month. One of them did do rather well. There is a lawyer from Huntington West Virginia who put his name on the ballot. The filing fee in this state is two thousand dollars, so I suppose he just had a couple of thousand dollars lying around to throw away. When he filed he said that he did not expect to win; he just wanted to give West Virginians a choice. In other words, his candidacy was just a lark. I keep forgetting his name. I think it is Howard something. Well, he got six percent. That is unusually high for a lark candidate. I suppose that represents the anti-Clinton/anti-Sanders vote. Even so, Sanders did much better than the latest polls before the election predicted that he would. He also did much worse than the polls indicated that he would do as of last month. I still maintain, though, that his win in West Virginia was not because of a pro-Sanders vote, but, rather, because of an anti-Clinton vote. I heard another poll figure last night that backs that up. It seems that forty-four percent of the Sanders voters intend to vote for Donald Trump in November if the Democrat Nominee is Clinton.