[blind-democracy] Re: The NY Mets and the Hebron Fund

  • From: Carl Jarvis <carjar82@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2015 08:41:16 -0800

Willingly or unwillingly, our tax dollars go bustling about the Globe,
supporting all sorts of corrupt people that we would never want to
live next door to. We justify it all by saying, "Politics make
strange bedfellows." Just like the fellow at the church I used to
attend. The sermon was on brotherly love. After the service, every
good sports fan rushed out to get home in time for the "big game".
Brotherly love was put on the shelf in the Vestibule. The parking lot
rang out with cries of, "Get that Goddamn piece of junk out of my
way."
We seem to be able to separate our noble values from our daily life.

Carl Jarvis
On 11/2/15, Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Only to show that sports is not just fun and politically neutral, I found
this article for Abby and marsha.
Miriam
The NY Mets and the Hebron Fund
US Politics
Philip Weiss on November 1, 2015

Citifield, site of fundraiser for group supporting illegal settlers and of
World Series game tonight

Baseball fans, don’t forget that the scene of tonight’s fifth game of the
World Series was the site of a fundraiser for an American group supporting
illegal settler zealots, the Hebron Fund, back in 2009. The Mets defended
the fundraiser at the time with this email:
Citi Field hosts a wide range of events that reflect the diversity of our
hometown and the differing views and opinions of New Yorkers. The beliefs of
organizations holding events at Citi Field do not necessarily reflect those
of the New York Mets.
Rebecca Vilkomerson of Jewish Voice for Peace and Neil Strauss of the
American-Arab Anti-Discrimination Committee were among many activists urging
the Mets to cancel the event, to no avail.
The Hebron Fund and dozens of other tax-exempt nonprofit organizations raise
funds in the United States and send them overseas to expand and develop the
settlements in order to make a Palestinian state impossible. Washington Post
columnist David Ignatius recently reported that “A search of IRS records
identified 28 U.S. charitable groups that made a total of $33.4 million in
tax-exempt contributions to settlements and related organizations between
2004 and 2007.” Although they do not meet the Internal Revenue Service’s
criteria for tax exemption, they have nevertheless been awarded 501(c)(3)
status, which means that their activities are subsidized by the American
taxpayer.
On November 21, hundreds of supporters will pay $300 a plate to attend the
Hebron Fund’s annual dinner at Citi Field, home of the New York Mets.
Sitting in the Caesar’s Club above the field, the attendees will enjoy a
reception, buffet, and Viennese table, and toast the evening’s main awardee,
Noam Arnon, an outspoken supporter of settler terrorism. In 1990 Arnon
praised the Jewish terrorists who killed three Palestinians, and planted
bombs that maimed the mayors of two Palestinian cities, and has slandered
Breaking the Silence, a group of Israeli soldiers that published Israeli
soldiers’ narratives of violence and racism by Hebron’s settlers, calling it
an organization of anti-Semites and supporters of Islamic terrorism.
Eleven peace and civil rights organizations, including the Arab-American and
Jewish-American organizations that we represent, have asked the Mets to
cancel the fundraiser,
The majority owner of the Mets, Fred Wilpon, is Jewish and was hurt in the
Bernie Madoff scandal. Madoff was very supportive of Israel. I don’t know if
Wilpon is an active Zionist. This writer at the Jewish Week implies that
Wilpon is:
The Mets owner, Fred Wilpon, a Jewish guy, stood tall against the
anti-Zionist pressure. The Hebron Fund had its dinner.
Thanks to Scott McConnell, a Yankees and Giants fan.

About Philip Weiss
The NY Mets and the Hebron Fund
US Politics
Philip Weiss on November 1, 2015 9 Comments
• Error! Hyperlink reference not valid. Error! Hyperlink reference not
valid.
• Error! Hyperlink reference not valid. Error! Hyperlink reference not
valid.
• Adjust Font Size