[blind-democracy] FW: Stand with Jim Himes: End Syria war through real diplomacy

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 03 Nov 2015 17:15:23 -0500

_____

From: info=justforeignpolicy.org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:info=justforeignpolicy.org@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Just
Foreign Policy
Sent: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 3:09 PM
To: miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Stand with Jim Himes: End Syria war through real diplomacy

<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=uPfd%2FgwQ6rnX0pBDIeoIltxcQLiM
6cFA> Just Foreign Policy

Dear Miriam,

Tell House Members to sign Rep. Himes' resolution supporting diplomacy to
end the Syria war.

Take
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=b4sDvIEqo%2FGFYooM5iYoveQXo0GP
C7mf> Action

Just as determined international diplomacy addressed the dispute over Iran’s
nuclear program without the use of force, so too can determined
international diplomacy end the Syrian civil war, by pushing the key
countries backing various sides of the civil war to support a political
agreement to end the fighting. Already, the Obama Administration has helped
convene international talks including all the key players: the United
States, Russia, Turkey, Saudi Arabia, and Iran.

Connecticut Democrat Jim Himes, who led 55 House Democrats in a letter to
President Obama encouraging such talks, has introduced a resolution [H. Res.
508] “Expressing the sense of the House of Representatives that the
President of the United States should use the full authority of his office
to convene international negotiations intended to stop the civil war in
Syria.” [1]

Urge your Representative to co-sponsor the Himes resolution to end the
Syrian civil war through negotiations by signing our petition at MoveOn:

<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=Z7HeaOYTWxn3zsbCfjChSOQXo0GPC7
mf> http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/end-Syria-war-real-diplomacy

Original co-sponsors of the resolution were John Carney, André Carson,
Yvette Clarke, John Conyers, Keith Ellison, Elizabeth Esty, Bill Foster,
Mike Honda, Sheila Jackson Lee, Marcy Kaptur, Derek Kilmer, Ted Lieu, Jim
McDermott, Jim McGovern, Seth Moulton, Bill Pascrell, Mark Pocan, Mike
Quigley, Kathleen Rice, Bobby Rush, and Jan Schakowsky. [2]

The long struggle to secure the Iran nuclear agreement showed that it
matters what Congress says, even when – especially when - the Administration
has begun to lead in the right direction. As Rep. Himes said on the House
floor when his letter was released, [3] an agreement that ends the war isn’t
going to be “perfect” from the point of view of Washington, just as the Iran
nuclear agreement wasn’t “perfect” from the point of view of Washington. The
US will have to compromise. The Administration is much more likely to make
the compromises necessary to achieve an agreement if it has substantial
support in Congress for making those compromises.

Urge your Representative to co-sponsor the Himes resolution to end the
Syrian civil war through negotiations by signing and sharing our petition.

http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/act/end-Syria-war-real-diplomacy
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=yNKYcygG%2FPGQ1DMB0i%2FoL%2BQX
o0GPC7mf>

Thanks for all you do to help defend diplomacy and end wars,

Robert Naiman and Avram Reisman
Just Foreign Policy

Help support our work by making a $15 tax-deductible donation.
If you like what we do, help fund us. Make a $15 tax-deductible donation
today!
http://www.justforeignpolicy.org/donate
<http://org.salsalabs.com/dia/track.jsp?v=2&c=NSBo77%2B2HnF1jeDani1kRNxcQLiM
6cFA>