[blind-democracy] Re: Close Guantanamo and Return It to Cuba

  • From: Miriam Vieni <miriamvieni@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-democracy@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2015 15:06:06 -0500

Bob,

You're probably correct. I was just reading in The Devil's Chessboard where
when Kennedy assumed office, the young progressive people in his
administration were urging him to fire Alan Dulles and J. Edgar Hoover, and
all of his speeches and his apparent instinctds, seemed to lean in that
direction. But, his eager advisors were shocked to learn that he'd retained
both men and his reason was that he hadn't won the Presidency with a large
enough majority to feel that he had the political capital to make big
changes in policy. I thought about that when considering how happy people on
the Left were to hear Sanders talk about America's history of imperialism in
the third world in the debate the other night. Well, I'm sure he believes
what he said, but that doesn't ensure that the US policy would change if he
became President.