[blind-chess] off topic Re: Fwd: Status Update regarding Chess-wise for IOS devices

  • From: Rebecca Blaevoet <amrywoddyddiauheulog@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 18:04:56 +0000

That is truly wonderful news! Can you please communicate my gratitude to Marcel if you get a chance, Anna?

Rebecca
To order quality, timely language translation and Braille transcription, visit:
http://www.valleys-wordworks.co.uk/

On 25/01/2011 17:15, Woody Anna Dresner wrote:
Wow, it looks like there really will be an accessible chess game on the iPHone
very soon.

Best,
Anna

Begin forwarded message:

Hi All,

I have some very hopeful news. Please see the forwarded email below regarding a pending update to the
Chess-wise App which adds VO access to the chessboard and chess piece manipulation. Scott Howell&  I have
been "working" with Marcel Nijman, the Developer of the Chess-wise App. I put the term
"working" in quotes because Marcel has been doing the actual work, Scott and I are just giving
ideas, feedback, and passing along the information submitted by viphone list members.<grin>

I must tell you that Marcel has been extremely receptive to our requests, has
listened to our ideas and resources, and has communicated with us several times
each day over the past few days. I considered summarizing his most recent email
but decided to forward it as-is. I think his email gives a good description of
the pending accessibility functions and possible future enhancements, and
reading his own words gives a good feel for how thorough and thoughtful he is
being in this process.

Cheers,,
Bryan

Begin forwarded message:
Hello,

Everything is going much quicker than expected. I'm nearly ready to send the
update to Apple for review.

The video was a great help. It explained in detail how to make a custom view
such as a chess board accessible.

To answer the points you both mentioned:

I indeed solved the pronunciation of the A-file by removing the space between
the letter and the digit: A1.
When you tap on an empty square it reads the coordinates. The procedure to make
a move is:
- tap on a piece: "White Pawn D2"
- double tap: "selected"
- tap on the destination: "D4"
- double tap: "White Pawn D4"

To implement split-tap I'll have to re-design some code. I will leave that for
a future update. Also, an edit box or options on the settings screen are good
ideas, but not for the first release.

When the computer makes a move it is read in long notation: "Pawn D7 to D5", "Castle kingside,
"Bishop F8 takes B4". I would like it to become "Bishop F8 takes Pawn B4", but information
about what is captured is not available to the routine which displays the moves, only the fact that something was
captured. This is for future optimization.

Everything will be localized in all the currently supported languages. I'll
make sure that at least English, Spanish, German and Dutch is ready in the
upcoming update.

Instead of trying to do every screen perfect in one go, I think it if more
effective if I push out the update this week, and then use your feedback to do
the other screens (setup, replay, exercises).

One technical problem that I can't solve yet is that when a button trigger an
action which in turn triggers a spoken result, you first hear the name of the
button and then the result, which seems unnatural. But then again, Apple seems
to do the same thing with their apps. So, maybe it's normal.

Another minor detail is that I currently don't update any labels when VoiceOver
is turned on or off while in the app. This would take a lot of bookkeeping, and
not much profit.

By the way, I find it incredible that non of the other chess apps (like
Shredder and Genius) are accessible, given how little work it is and how much
it is appreciated.

Marcel

========
The blind-chess mailing list
View list information and change your settings:
//www.freelists.org/list/blind-chess
=======