[blind-chess] Spoiler Alert Problem WAC097

  • From: Eddyz69@xxxxxxx
  • To: blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2012 06:38:57 -0400 (EDT)

Hello Puzzlers,
Let me start with some analysis. The black king is in  the corner, and the
black queen and rook are deep in white's territory blocked  by the white
bishop.
Does white have a combination of forcing moves available  to get checkmate?
Doctor Z is ready to operate. My solution:
1. Qa8+ Kh7  (only escape square)
2. Qh8+ (This queen sacrifice is made to deflect the  knight off the
g-file.) Nxh8 (This is a forcing move, since the white bishop  protects the
queen
preventing a king capture.)
3. Rg7++ (With the knight at  h8 the white rook can move to g7 checkmating
the trapped black king.)
The  knight at h8 also blocks the black king's only escape square. In
conclusion  white has created a smothered mate with the rook. Black's pieces
prevent escape:  black pawn at h6 and knight at h8.
Edward

In a message dated 9/11/2012 6:55:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

Good Afternoon Puzzlers,

Another WAC series problem.

This problem is from Mario Lang's  puzzle web page at:

_http://delysid.org/chess/epd.cgi_ ()

Problem  WAC097

White to move

FEN Problem  Setup:
6k1/
5p2/
p5np/
4B3/
3P4/
1PP1q3/
P3r1QP/
6RK
w  - - 0 1

Short Algebraic Problem Setup:
White: Kh1, Qg2, Rg1,  Be5, Pa2, Pb3, Pc3, Pd4, Ph2
Black: Kg8, Qe3, Re2, Ng6, Pa6, Pf7,  Ph6