[blind-chess] Solution to Problem WAC083

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "chess" <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2011 09:07:50 -0700

Good Morning Puzzlers,

I apologize for my tardiness in getting this out, but I've been busy with other
things.

This problem is a tricky tactical situation for both players, but once again
Paul has done an excellent job of breaking the position down and explaining the
situation.  Please read through his excellent analysis for details.

The short answer follows.

The best move is: 1. Qxd7

Principle:
Black's d7 bishop is attacked three times and defended only twice.  So white
can win a bishop here, the only question is who takes who first.
1. Qxd7! Qxd7, black's only good response.
2. Rxd7, and white has won the exchange while creating a tricky position for
black.
If either rook takes a white rook mate follows shortly since the black king is
subject to a back rank mate.