[blind-chess] Solution to Problem WAC027

  • From: "R Dinger" <rrdinger@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "chess" <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Aug 2010 08:56:08 -0700

Good Morning Puzzlers,

For those that have not read the posts by Chris, Paul and Dave for this
problem, I strongly encourage you to read their problem solutions.  Paul's
analysis is particularly in-depth and you can learn a great deal by studying it
carefully.  The problem solution is revealed below.

The best move is: 1. Qf8+

Principle:
At first glance, the Knight fork of King and Queen is tempting, but Paul's
analysis shows Black has a forced mate on that line.
The keys to this problem appear to be the back rank mating position and the
heavy pieces focused on the F-File.
I encourage those that are interested in this tough problem, to read Paul's
complete analysis, as I am unable to do it justice.
The forced mate in two follows.
1. Qf8+ Rxf8
2. Rxf8#