[blind-chess] Seeking the Endgame and Armenia the Cleverest Nation on the Planet, on BBC Radio World Service

  • From: "Paul Benson" <paul.benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2010 15:06:22 +0100

Hello all,

There is an interesting radio programme which went out on Friday 10 September,
available for download or listen online. The page is

http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/docarchive
.
The programme is about 24 minutes long. I listened online by finding the
"Seeking the Endgame" link located just after the link referring to "Terms and
Conditions". It is probably possible to download in mp3 format file, I briefly
tried and failed, before finding how to listen online.

Part 2 of this documentary will be broadcast on BBC World Service, Friday 17
September, at 20.06 GMT. This assumes the time given on the programme listing
for the World Service is GMT, which I think is one hour ahead of UTC.

. Note the last line of the copied extract below, refers to another chess
documentary. It can be accessed on the same page as Seeking the Endgame". You
have to find the link to show all episodes, about link 18 on the web page given
above. Click on this to be able to access all 590 back episodes. Then you will
be on a page with 1076 links. The link to listen online is number 697, and is
called: "Armenia the cleverest nation on the planet". The page will be updated
soon, so that link number will change with time.

I tried several methods of searching by web browser on the title just given, I
could find several links, but my system always failed to get the programme to
play. The only method for me was to find link 697 on the web page given above.
Again, it is 24 minutes long, and I reckon is worth a listen. It was first
broadcast in Autumn 2009.

Here is a copy of the information about part one of Seeking the Endgame, given
on the page for podcasts
BBC World Service - Documentaries.

Seeking the Endgame.
Chess champion Garry Kasparov ponders his moves against the IBM computer Deep
Blue
Garry Kasparov's loss to the computer Deep Blue surprised many chess fans
To play this content JavaScript must be turned on and the latest Flash player
installed.
Chess is an ancient game that has been widely popular for centuries - but how
is it faring in modern times?
Simon Terrington, a self-confessed chess fanatic, explores the game in today's
world.
Is modern technology changing it and how it's played? In a world where there
are more and more calls upon our time, do people still wish to devote hours to
mastering it?
Simon reaffirms his love for chess by absorbing the passion it generates, from
grandmasters to community club players; from the World Chess Championship to
the chess boards of a Bulgarian park.
These programmes build a new picture of a game: a game with a wealth of
beneficial attributes, but also one with a pugilistic, addictive hook that
keeps players coming back to the board, again and again.
In part one, Simon assesses how computer technology has affected the game at
the highest level and what this means for its future.
He looks at the moment when chess champion Garry Kasparov was beaten by the IBM
computer Deep Blue and hears from experts about the impact that event had
across the game.
First broadcast on 10 September 2010.
Bookmark with:.
Download this documentary.
Download more documentaries.
Landmark series from our archive
Related documentaries.
The secret behind Armenia's dominance at chess

End of extract.

Note again, the title for the programme mentioned in the extract last line is:
"Armenia the cleverest nation on the planet".

Paul Benson.