[blind-chess] Problem WAC024 Possible Solution

  • From: "Paul Benson" <paul.benson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blind-chess@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Aug 2010 13:24:53 +0100

Hello all,
I am still trying to recover from my debacle debut on the list, that is, my
proposed solution to Problem WAC023. I think what I suggested is valid, but
nowhere as efficient as the simple conclusion.

I think there is some advice somewhere, possibly referring to learning to ride
a bicycle, or was it a horse, recommending that if you fall off, then you must
get back on straight away.

I shall assume you have already had a go at the problem, and that I am not
ruining your fun if you have not already tried.

With time, I shall try to develop a system of offering what I think is the
solution, in such a way that it will be helpful to those wishing to improve.

So, material is equal. There is a double attack on the b6 pawn,
 and oh yes, there is the unguarded Queen on e7 to look after as well.

This position is on a definition-boundary, a late middle-game I would say, one
more exchange of pieces, or of queens, would make it an endgame.

The centre is devoid of pawns, , this offers opportunities for long-range
pieces to demonstrate their full potential.

Time to analyse. Examine captures first. So, try 1. ... Qxe3+ 2. Nxe3 Bd4 pins
the knight, but 3. Bf2 breaks the pin. I suspect this line would give black a
slight endgame advantage, white has a little unravelling to do.

From the start again. There is a way to meet both threats,
1. ... Qf6, but this is defending, not attacking.
Perhaps I need to call on another middle-game tactical concept. There is a very
famous 1960's TV series, in which the starring actor is supposed to have said,
"Beam me up Scottie". Cue sound effects department, and within seconds, our
hero in need was de-materialised in front of our eyes. What has this to do with
chess problem solving, or middle-game tactics?

Simple. In two or three seconds, Captain Kirk is removed from one place to
another. What if we could simply remove pieces from the chess board, emulating
Star Trek? In reality we can not, but surely, there is no harm in imagining a
piece has just been transported?
So, this is the idea. Start on the a-file, and either mentally or physically
remove the a2 pawn. Does this make a significant difference? No. Put the pawn
back on a2. Now, how about the bishop on b1? Same again, no real difference.

Now the b4 pawn? No difference. Now the c4 knight? Massive difference. If there
were no c4 knight then the white queen could be taken for nothing. So, is there
a way to shift the c4 knight, and also keep the queens opposing each other? No,
pity.

Carry on beaming them up Scottie. Now for the e1 bishop. Not much really there.
Now remove the e3 Queen. WOW, what a difference that makes. Can you see what
could happen if Scottie missed Captain Kirk, and instead got the white queen?

Yes, without the white queen, black has Qxe1 checkmate!

So, replace the white queen on e3, and now start searching for a way to get the
white queen to another square, where it does not defend the bishop on e1, and
also avoiding losing the black queen on e7.

If necessary, I suggest you examine all legal moves for black, because when you
find it there would almost certainly be a great feeling of satisfaction.

Problem WAC024 Solved (hopefully, this time).

So, here is my solution:

1. ... Bd4, which meets all the necessary conditions to deflect the white
queen. The black bishop now pins the white queen to the white king. If 2. Qxd4
then black takes the bishop, ,
2. ... Qxe1 mate.

After 1. ... Bd4 white could reply 2. Bf2 but this would allow black to just
take Bxe3 and win the queen for a piece.

Paul Benson.