[blazie-support] Re: hello

  • From: "Donna K." <donnak39@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blazie-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 15:51:49 -0500

Hi!
Here's a message that I received in response to a Braille Lite question that
I had asked.  I hope this is what you need.
Donna
 about cables. Here's how you have to have your Blazie cables set up to
communicate between the Braille Lite and your computer. This is how I have
mine set up.
At the end of your serial cable (the big end with all the pins), connect a
male-to-female gender changer. This is an adapter that has a bunch of holes
on both of its ends. Next, you need to connect a NULL modem adapter to the
end of your gender changer. This one has holes on one end and pins on
another. Be careful though, because there are two adapters that feel like
this; one has little lights poking up out of the top though and the other
is flat-topped. Use the flat-topped adapter because the other one won't do
anything but beep at you if there is some sort of serial activity passing
through it. Next, if the serial port on your computer is a nice
nine-pinner, you'll need to attach a 25-to-9 pin converter. This one is
triangular-shaped with the base having an end with pins in it and the top a
smaller square containing holes. Now, all you need to do is connect this
huge contraption to your computer and you're set. You don't always need to
use the Blazie cables though, and in fact I recommend you go to Radio Shack
when you can and get a custom-made cable if possible. The thing with Blazie
cables is that some aren't reliable at all, whereas others can always be
counted on to work properly. I, for instance, have been using the exact
same cable to connect my Braille Lite to my PC for the last four years and
it hasn't given me any problems. HTH
Steve
No, you can purchase these cables at any local computer store. I think.