[bksvol-discuss] wish list book

  • From: "Amber Wallenstein" <amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 02:28:27 -0500

I would love it if someone could scan
The Lemon Tree: An Arab, a Jew, and the Heart of the Middle East (Hardcover)
by
Sandy Tolan
From Publishers Weekly
Starred Review. The title of this moving, well-crafted book refers to a tree in
the backyard of a home in Ramla, Israel. The home is currently owned by
Dalia, a Jewish woman whose family of Holocaust survivors emigrated from
Bulgaria. But before Israel gained its independence in 1948, the house was owned
by the Palestinian family of Bashir, who meets Dalia when he returns to see his
family home after the Six-Day War of 1967. Journalist Tolan (Me & Hank)
traces the history of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict through the parallel
personal histories of Dalia and Bashir and their families-all refugees seeking
a home. As Tolan takes the story forward, Dalia struggles with her Israeli
identity, and Bashir struggles with decades in Israeli prisons for suspected
terrorist activities. Those looking for even a symbolic magical solution to
that conflict won't find it here: the lemon tree dies in 1998, just as the
Israeli-Palestinian peace process stagnates. But as they follow Dalia and
Bashir's difficult friendship, readers will experience one of the world's most
stubborn conflicts firsthand.

If someone scans it I would love to validate it.
Amber

Book blog:
John Adams
E-Mail: amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx