[bksvol-discuss] who is staff member Robin

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2009 00:49:02 -0500

Who is Robin? I did not know we have a staff member named Robin? What does she do?

E.

At 12:45 AM 1/2/2009, you wrote:
Carrie and Allison and Robin and Pavi and other
hires not all of whose names we know contribute to the
improvements. Some I think I know but am not sure that
I should mention their names, so I won't, but they
know who they are, and they help to make the
organization what it is today. But Lisa has the good
sense to know who to hire and the ability to know ow
to get desired changes implemented.

Cindy Ro
--- Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Candice, I hear you. You sound as annoyed by those
> as I am. Hang on
> just a few more weeks. The new Bookshare site is
> able to access book
> data including the description from the back cover
> or dust jacket of
> most books. Since anyone on this list is eligible to
> do the public
> beta test, that's not a secret. (smile) Once the
> site is rolled out
> and is running well, Bookshare staff can begin the
> process of
> correcting book data when it is totally absent. It
> will take time, but
> the process is well on its way to seeing the light
> of day. I do hope
> they will reprocess the books submitted by the Worth
> Trust since most
> of their synopsis work is unhelpful at best and
> confusing at its
> worst. That's not a slam against them. English isn't
> their native
> language, and I respect them for the work they do.
> Then, maybe with
> the help of volunteers, Bookshare can find books
> that don't have a
> long synopsis and fix those as well. People won't
> get as upset about
> their synopsis being changed if it's the publisher's
> own description
> of the book. At least I don't think they will.
>
> Btw, the synopsis and book entry form haven't always
> worked as they do
> now. Especially with older books, it is very common
> to see the word
> "none" in either or both of the synopsis fields.
> It's only been in the
> past year or so that books were required to have
> some sort of synopsis
> and to be given at least one category during
> submission so they can be
> found. If you saw how books were processed during
> the first two years,
> you might be amazed we can read any of them at all!
> Lisa and her crew
> have literally done lifesaving surgery to keep
> Bookshare going. When
> we look at Bookshare a year from now, we'll probably
> laugh at how
> things were cobbled together and be glad that it's
> easier to use. I
> know I feel this way now compared to when I started
> volunteering. If
> you all ever feel like understanding how Bookshare
> got to where we are
> now, go searching through the archives of this list.
> Look for messages
> from late 2005 and all through 2006. You might start
> wondering if
> we're even talking about the same organization.
> (grin) When you're
> done reading, I bet you'll want to give Carrie a hug
> and some
> chocolate for all she does to help books get into
> the collection.
>
> --
> Monica Willyard
> [...]

WISH LIST (CALLED REQUESTED ADDITIONS TO THE BOOKSHARE COLLECTION)IS AVAILABLE AT
www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm

http://www.friendsofbookshare.org/
www.lljfm.net/bookshare/home.htm

http://www.eset.com