[bksvol-discuss] Re: what should I do?

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 17 May 2009 06:38:52 -0700

Hi Nancy,

In Kurzweil, to unbold and unitalicize (is that a word) your document,
here's what I do:
Have your document open
Select the entire document by pressing Control a
Hit the alt key to enter the menus
Right arrow to edit
Up arrow (you can down arrow, but going up is shorter) to "format"
Hit enter
You're sitting on "font"
Hit enter
Now you can choose your font (I use Times New Roman) by either arrowing
right where you are, or hitting the first letter of the font that you want
then arrowing to get to the specific one.
Tab and you're sitting on the place that will say something like all of the
text is bolded. Upp arrow here to disabled
Tab again, you're on a box where you can arrow to disable italics
From there tab to "ok" and hit enter
Save your file.

Now you should have a completely unbolded and unitalicized file and can go
back and bold or italicize what you want to change.  My advice would be to
unbold the entire document as you say, but not to unitalicize unless
absolutely the entire document is italicized.  If your edit box says that
some of the text is italicized and some is not, I'd not change that. Many
books (in fact all that I've read in the last six months at least) use
italics for emphasis.  If you disable this in your document, you can't ever
get back the emphasis that the author intended.  This is not true of bolding
in my experience.

    I did have to unbold an entire document recently, and left italics
alone.  I never did figure out why the OCR thought the entire book should
have been bolded.

Good luck and happy proofreading!

Mayrie

  _____