[bksvol-discuss] Re: =?utf-8?Q?Book_I_am_reading_has_many_problems_–_should_I_fix_it_o? =?utf-8?Q?r_reject_it??Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 19:50:38 -0500

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 18:55:39 -0600

My opinion is always that we are not in the salvage business.  It takes
only a couple of hours to rescan a medium size book, while it can take a
few dozen hours to fix a bad scan.

Nuke it!  G.

Guido Dante Corona
IBM Research,
Human Ability & Accessibility Center,   (HA&AC)
Austin Tx.
Phone:  (512) 286-5794
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx
Web:  http://www.ibm.com/able

'there is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept'
                             Ansel Adams

Jess Killian <jesskillian@xxxxxxx>
02/22/2009 06:50 PM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss]
=?utf-8?Q?Book_I_am_reading_has_many_problems_–_should_I_fix_it_o?
=?utf-8?Q?r_reject_it??Date: Sun, 22 Feb 2009 19:50:38 -0500

Hi all,

      I am currently in the process of reading “The Murder at The
National Museum.”  It’s a really well scanned book not to mention an
excellent read, but there are some problems that I do not know whether
I should just fix and submit the book for approval or reject it.  For
one thing, the book has a number and an extra word in the copyright
notice.  I could email Pavi and ask her to forward along my questions
regarding this matter to the volunteer: that’s not an issue.  I think
the problem is that there are no page numbers up until page 11 and even
then, the page numbers are placed at the beginning of sentences.  The
page number for page 19 is placed on the line for page 18.  In
addition, I believe that the submitter does not have page breaks that
match the printed addition.

On one hand, I would like to reject it because it would take me so long
to fix the above mentioned mistakes.  I would need to ask the submitter
what sentence ended the page and what sentence began the following page
so that I could accurately input the page numbers as well as page
breaks.  This process would need to be done for a good portion of the
book.  On the other hand, I would like to fix the problems and submit
the book for approval due to the fact it’s easy for me to fix after I
know what information went on what page.  My ques
tion to the list is:
should I reject the book because there are some issues or should I
spend time fixing it up with the help of the submitter?

Thanks,

Jess

Jessica Killian

Bookshare discussion list email: jesskillian@xxxxxxx

Off list email to be used for people who wish to contact me privately :
jess_killian@xxxxxxxxxxx