[bksvol-discuss] tips

  • From: "Sarah Van Oosterwijck" <curiousentity@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:16:35 -0600

I am working on submitting some tips to Jake's website.  The title of the
tips page says it is for scanning tips.  This makes me wonder if a tip on
how to filter off toppic messages in Outlook Express would be welcome.
Obviously that has nothing to do with scanning books for bookshare.  It is
only somewhat relevant to bookshare volunteers because many of them are on
this list and might appreciate the ability to skip messages that aren't
directly relevant to bookshare volunteering.

Jake, since it's your site I'll accept your judgement in the matter.  I
know you will consider the opinions of others as well.

I just submitted a tip on characters that the bookshare system doesn't
always handle correctly. I forgot to attribute the tip because there was
no field for that purpose. Of course I realized I could just type it in
the tip itself, but I impatiently hit enter on the submit button before
fully engaging my brain. :-) Anyway, Gerald helped me with making sure that what I wrote was complete, correct, and accurately worded, and Kellie provided proof reading services. Any blaim for inaccuracy as far as what the bookshare system does is entirely my fault. I tried my best to investigate each issue enough to be sure, but the hole system has so many steps and I couldn't personally test everything with every possible set of circumstances.

I pretty much have thoroughly tested everything I talk about in the Kurzweil settings tip I submitted. Of course I have learned that reality is a very different thing for each person, so I suppose that might be true when it comes to scanning software experiences as well. ;-)

Sarah Van Oosterwijck
Assistive Technology Trainer
http://home.earthlink.net/~netentity