[bksvol-discuss] submitted, Resistance a novel

  • From: "Amber Wallenstein" <amber.wallens@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2008 09:38:37 -0400

I just submitted Resistance: a Novel by Owen Sheers.   I think I may have
spelled it wrong, though.. Woops!
It's 1944 and Sarah Lewis and the women in Ochlon valley are left alone after
all the local men disappear one night. The women's worlds suddenly
shrink to the day-to-day struggles to keep their sheep farms going until the
war comes to their doorsteps in the form of Capt. Albrecht Wolfram and his
men, who have a murky mission to carry out in the valley. Promising to leave
the women alone, the Germans occupy an abandoned house and the two camps keep
mostly to themselves until a harsh winter takes hold, and it becomes clear that
the locals and the Germans will have to depend on one another to survive.
It's also revealed that Albrecht is just as interested as the locals are in
staying away from the war for as long as possible, and the two communities
begin to merge. But when the weather breaks and the valley reopens to the
world-and hence the war-the peculiar idyll threatens to shatter.

Enjoy!
Amber
Book blog:
John Adams