[bksvol-discuss] question about sentence structure/punctuation

  • From: "Scott Blanks" <captaincynic3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 6 Jul 2010 11:12:49 -0700

Hey everyone,

In a recently-completed scan, the author dealt with dialog in a less common way
than I generally see. The author is British, and therefore the approach may be
something more common in that part of the world.

What I would see is something like the following sentence:

The momentary silence allowed me to say "Where are we going?"

So, the sentence starts with a few words, then leads into the line of dialog.
Should there be a comma after the final word preceding the start of dialog? Or
can this go either way?

Scott