[bksvol-discuss] Re: punctuation question

  • From: Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2012 08:41:44 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks, Mayrie

>________________________________

using.  These arrangements make the character appear as it should in
braille.  It isn't always four dots, as you will see.

>Formatting The Ellipsis
>
>The ellipsis should be punctuated as if it were a word.
Examples:
>"Fools rush in ..."
>
>"... for they shall inherit the earth"
> "Breathe,
Mellissa. In ... and out. In ...
>and out."
>An ellipsis and a
period.  Sometimes an ellipsis appears to be four dots rather than three.
This is because the ellipsis is either preceded or followed by a period. Since
the braille period is not the same as the dots of an ellipsis, it must be
determined which of the four dots is the period.

>If the sentence is incomplete, does not contain a subject and
a verb and express a complete thought, then the ellipsis is taking the place of
missing words within the sentence--in which the period immediately follows the
ellipsis, just as it would a word. If a sentence is gramatically complete, the
first dot represents the period and the ellipsis represents a following missing
sentence or sentences. In this case a blank cell (a space) is left between the
period and the following ellipsis.
>Example:
>As you can see, I have
followed your career. ... As to my own .... Well, you know the
story.