[bksvol-discuss] Re: private information, was South Beach...

  • From: Ann Parsons <akp@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 15:54:30 -0400

Hi all,

E., sometimes one wonders where people learned their netiquette. <smiling> No, not referring to you at all. Guess we need to go back to square One, sometimes. It's probably not her fault, she just didn't learn. Here's the drill folks.

Unless a person has published their phone number or postal address publicly, or they have specifically given you permission to give out their phone number, don't!! Check with the person first. Send them the person's email before sending a phone number, and send it privately, not on a public list. That, I'm afraid is becoming the norm these days, both on the Net and off. What with identity theft, spammers, crackers, stalkers, and more, you just can't bee too careful. The police are great, but they can only do so much. It's up to all of us to protect and defend each other on the net. <smiling> No, I'm not advocating violence, of course not, but you need to be, as The Book says, as wise as serpents and as gentle as doves.

On a personal note, this thread got me to musing at church, and I think another of my small pamphlets just got born this morning. Thanks. It's probably going to be called Internet safety.

Ann P.