[bksvol-discuss] Re: ot bank of America scam

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 11:12:06 -0700

E, & u think changing your email address will keep it from happening
again? It's called phishing (note spelling). It happens a lot. My
advice is that:
a) report it to the folks the email is reportedly from, e.g., if it
purports to be from Bank of America, report it to them-- often these
legitimate companies are very interested in trying to shut these folks
down & actually devote resources to so doing; &
b) Simply delete & don't panic. The truth is, I get these sometimes
for places I don't even have an account with. These spammers have many
methods by which to harvest emails. They don't really know who has an
account where. They just hope they'll get lucky & find some1 gullible
enough to do what they ask. Don't ever click on links provided in an
email--go directly to the site where u have an account if u have
questions. Most legitimate emails will include your name & never ask
for identifying information. But panicking & changing your email
address won't help. Just be cool. I understand it seems scarey
sometimes, but these spammers aren't nearly as smart as it may at
first appear. Whatever u do, don't reply to them, as they will then
know they have a valid email address.

On 5/31/08, Curtis Delzer <curtis@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Spammers try anything, just delete! really, just delete anything you
> did not ask for. Bank of America doesn't send email of any type
> unless you have some notifying going on, from them which you must set
> up. I have a B OF A account and never got anything from them I did
> not want. Remember, I said "from them," so if it begins by saying
> something like your account has been compromised, it has not, they
> will never send you such email, nor will anyone else that is ligit.
> Spammer should have their balls cut off, nice and slow.
> Curtis Delzer
>
> At 04:46 AM 5/31/2008, you wrote:
>>I just got a message from somebody claiming to be Bank of America.
>>
>>It said somebody tried to access my account.  It said I needed to go
>>to a site and do things.
>>Luckily the person writing the message made several spelling errors,
>>and used a email I do not have listed with a bank.
>>
>>My friend also got a call from Bank of America yesterday.
>>
>>Somebody claiming to be his daughter had called the bank. She had
>>his social security number and address as well as birthday and other
>>identifying information.
>>
>>She said he had died and wanted a check cut by Bank of America.
>>
>>He is alive. He has no daughter to the best of his knowledge (grin)
>>
>>Please be careful folks.
>>
>>I may change my email address.
>>
>>This stuff is getting close to home.
>>
>>E.
>>
>>To unsubscribe from this list send a blank Email to
>>bksvol-discuss-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
>>put the word 'unsubscribe' by itself in the subject line.  To get a
>>list of available commands, put the word 'help' by itself in the subject
>> line.

Jackie McBride
& Check out my homepage at:
www.abletec.serverheaven.net