[bksvol-discuss] Re: following block quote question, please clarify something for me?

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 11:30:39 -0700

Hi Jake,

This is a perfect answer! I'm not anywhere near a geek, and I understood it! I love complete answers! Are you getting sick of hearing that? Thank you.

Peace,
Mayrie

At 11:22 AM 4/12/2008, you wrote:
Hi Paula,

This is a tricky question and somewhat of a techie concept, because it's different from how most people think of word processor documents. I'll try my best with an example.

DAISY is a markup language, and as such it marks blocks of text as certain kinds of text. The most common of these is a paragraph. So, I'll repeat this paragraph, this time with the markup as how it might appear in DAISY.

Each paragraph is then rendered by the DAISY reader in the manner it chooses. It might choose to put a blank line, it might choose to indent the paragraph, it may even do both. Internet Explorer with JAWS for example, simulates a blank line between paragraphs.

So, as far as DAISY goes, blank lines are pretty irrelevant; all that matters is what the converter thinks of as a paragraph.

I hope this answers your question, isn't too much detail, and isn't too geeky, smile.

Jake
----- Original Message ----- From: "Paula and James Muysenberg" <outofsightlife@xxxxxxxxx>