[bksvol-discuss] Re: [bookshare-discuss] book idea

  • From: "Brian Miller" <brian-r-miller@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2006 20:41:38 -0700

Hi Kellie,

NaguibMahfouz is one of my favorite 20th century novelists, and the Cairo
Trlogy are masterpieces of fiction -- definitely among my very favorite books
of all time.

I was saddened to hear of his death today, although he lived a long healthy
life -- despite the best efforts of the Muslem Brotherhood, which tried to kill
him on several occasions.

He was a modernists, who critiqued often both Muslem extremists and Nationalist
extremists in his home of Egypt.

A marvelous writer.

Many of his works are available through NLS, by the way.  His works make muslem
culture as lived in Egypt very accessible to western readers.

Brian Miller