[bksvol-discuss] a paging question

  • From: "Bob" <rwiley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bookshare bolunteer discussion" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 21:17:01 -0500

I am currently validating time enough for love by Robert Heinlein.

It appears to be a really good scan, at first glance. However, there may be a paging problem.

I initially tried to bring the .rtf file up in Kurzweil--my preferred editing program--and found that the book only had 170 odd pages. I read this book years ago and know for a fact it has a lot more than that. So, I brought the same .rtf file up in ms word and found that word thought the book had about 600 pages.

In checking the file, it appears that it has a section break for each page, but no actual page breaks (designated by a ^m in the find and replace dialog).

My question is this, will the program that bookshare uses be fooled (as K1000 was) by the absence of page numbers? If so, how can I change the section breaks to page breaks? or should I change them?

I would still like to use k1000 as an editing tool, but I know as soon as I save the file, we will loose all the section breaks and come up with that completely wrong page count.

Any advice on how to handle this?

Bob

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful,
committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is
the only thing that ever has."--Margaret Mead