[bksvol-discuss] a neneficial bug?

  • From: "Kellie Hartmann" <kellhart@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 18:33:48 -0500

Ok, this is really interesting. I've never yet seen a bug that did something
beneficial, but I think maybe I just found one.
I opened and started editing a book that I'm validating in Kurzweil. It
appeared to be only one large page, so I assumed it was because of that
section-break issue and decided not to worry about it. Anyway, the book
contains some Spanish words that didn't all scan very well, and in one word
an "n-tilde" had been misscanned and needed to be fixed. I've never
memorized the ASCII numbers for the accented characters, so I opened
WordPad, hit insert-4 to make JFW display a list of common characters that
can't be made on the keyboard, and selected the n-tilde. I then selected the
N-tilde from the document, copied it to clipboard, and went back to k1k and
hit paste. Suddenly the hard drive started whirring, and when I hit a key to
see what was going on k1k said "25 pages pasted." I panicked and hit escape
and checked to see what was happening, and the book I was reading was
suddenly incomplete but what was there had mysteriously developed
pagination. I exited the file without saving and reopened it, and was able
to replicate the experiment, only this time I let k1k finish pasting without
interrupting. When it was done I found that I had the whole book, intact,
and that it was suddenly paginated what appears to be accurately. Btw, just
to make sure I hadn't somehow had something unexpected in the clipboard I
hit paste again, and voila, my n-tilde. What in the world is happening here?
Is this a bug or a top-secret hidden feature? <lol> This has got to be one
of the strangest computer behaviors I've ever seen, and this from someone
who once had a printer randomly generate an entire page of 0's. <lol>
Any theories?
Kellie