[bksvol-discuss] a Gregory Spatz novel was just submitted to Bookshare

  • From: <ohio1803@xxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 12:40:07 -0600

Hello.
FYI ... I just completed my scanning, reading and editing for this Thursday’s
Bookshare submission.
Thank you!
Rik James

    ISBN #:   0-87074-508-5
    TITLE:   Fiddler's Dream: A Novel
    AUTHOR:  Gregory Spatz
    YEAR OF COPYRIGHT: Copyright © 2006 by Gregory Spatz
     Published by Southern Methodist University Press, 2006
Gregory Spatz’s second novel tells the story of Jesse Alison, a prodigiously
talented young bluegrass musician, who moves to Nashville from Vermont
following his dream of becoming a Bluegrass Boy in Bill Monroe’s band. He hopes
to find his long-estranged father, himself a musician, who Jesse has heard, now
lives in Nashville. Juxtaposing flashbacks of Jesse’s past and his earliest
connections to music, the novel tracks his progress in Nashville, his edgy
relationship with Genny Freed, a violin maker with whom he’s staying, and
concludes with his confrontation with his father.

   below NOT included in submission’s description, but I think interesting.
PUBLISHER'S WEEKLY:   The dream of becoming a Bluegrass Boy in Bill Monroe's
band prompts a 19-year-old Vermont fiddler to head to Nashville in Spatz's
limpid, earnest second novel (after No One but Us ), set in the near past.
Jesse Alison was eight when his father, an itinerant guitar player and
songwriter, left for the last time and headed South. Gifted and determined as a
boy, Jesse excelled at the fiddle (as well as guitar and mandolin), encouraged
by Genny, the owner of a local violin repair shop who eventually moved the
place to Nashville. When Jesse arrives in Nashville, he looks up Genny, a
lesbian now in her late 30s, but is crushed by the news that Monroe is in the
hospital (he died in real life in 1996), his best playing behind him. Jesse
stays at Genny's house, helps her in the shop and jams at the local Station Inn
in the evenings with older and better players. But unfinished family business
drives Jesse to seek out his father, now born again with a new wife and
daughter, and it is their poignant reunion—set to music—that redeems this
folksy narrative from a deliberative lassitude.

volunteer comments:

This book was scanned using K-1000 software, version 14. I possess the 1st
edition autographed hardcover, and I have the images retained .kes file to
refer to for any questions. There were no images or captions, no footnotes,
only acknowledgements, chapters, and each of these headings are in bold Times
New Roman 16 point, with the rest of the book's text in regular 12 point. Oh
yes, the title is set to bold 20 point, also. I ran Ranked Spelling and checked
through all of it until it was completely shed of scanos and investigated all
of the things that were flagged. High confidence on this scan. A very good
read, too. For questions, please contact me at d28rik at msn dot com.

PS – I host a radio show and produce folk & bluegrass concert series out here.
(sw MT) And I have been fortunate to buy autographed copies Greg’s books when
he comes and plays fiddle with John Reischman & The Jaybirds. Boy, can he
play.... and write!  (IMHO)  I hope to scan his first novel and submit it soon.
I notice he has his other 2 titles already in the Bookshare collection.