[bksvol-discuss] Yellowed pages

  • From: "Shelley L. Rhodes" <juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jan 2005 10:18:25 -0500

I am a bit stymied.  When is it too yellow.  smile.

What I mean is II have a very old, and rare book here, it has been asked for
on Bookshare and was the only copy I could find, got it for a steal at $4.
But am running into a bit of a challenge.  The right side page scans nice,
but the other page, the left side page, is not coming out.  The scanner
calls it blank.

I have tried grayscale with 300 dpi, and shall try 400.  My father says the
text is on the pages, but they are yellow.  Which you would expect from a
book from 1938 I believe.  Anyway.

What other settings can I try for this guy.

And It seems especially with our higher standards of quality these yellowed
pages, are getting harder and harder to scan and make perfect.  I am editing
the First Lady of the Seeing eye, apparently the copy I had was in a fire
and has smoke damage or so my mom says.  Many pages come out perfect but
some don't.  I am getting good at guessing and filling in things that are
what I think they are.  A ^ could be a th or what have you.

Sigh.

Amazing what a book could tell you.

juddysbuddy@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Guide Dogs For the Blind Inc.